Another Bruno? God…I am stuck here for another 20 years!

I was with Dr. Rosa in Freetown doing some errands and she was commenting on the fact the Jessica will be completing her last health check and in a few days she will be out of quarantine. We were happy that this is the first time since last year our quarantine section will be free of chimps. Sadly, our happiness did not last long! We got a call from one of our former education officer … a baby chimp has been handed over to them together with an official handing over note!

NAME BRUNO
SEX MALE
BROUGHT TO TE CONSERVATION SOCIETY OF SIERRA LEONE BY MUSA SANU KNOTEH
CAUGHT IN KABALA, SPENT LESS THAN THREE WEEKS IN MAKENI
FED REGULARLY ON FRUITS AND SOME RICE
REMARKS LOOKS PHYSICALLY OK, BUT DIRTY.

img_0122.JPG.

Dirty….indeed he was. His face, feet and hand all black and he looked like an adult chimp! He was quite happy to bond with me and Rosa decided to take the wheel. It was a strange feeling driving through the town having another Bruno on my lap…bringing so many happy and sad memories that I continue to carry over the years.
It is going to be kind of difficult for any one of us at Tacugama to call another chimp BRUNO. But the education officer was insisting that we should not change the name and after all it is not bad idea as all of us are missing our big Bruno. So I gave in for “young Bruno”. It is common in Sierra Leone to call a youngster after the father´s name with the title “young” in the front.

img_0153.JPG.

He seems healthy and settling in well……and I am just beginning to get worried. If I go by what happened 20 years ago….I may get stuck here for another 20!

young-bruno-3.JPG.

Bookmark and Share

18 comments on “Another Bruno? God…I am stuck here for another 20 years!

1. Young Bruno is a cutie! I think Tacugauma would have you another 20 years, young Bruno or not! Let’s hope he is as great as his namesake. Thanks for the post Bala!

2. Young Bruno is a cutie! I think Tacugauma would have you another 20 years, young Bruno or not! Let’s hope he is as great as his namesake. Thanks for the post Bala!

3. Lucia Cristiana, Brasil on said:

Young Bruno is very very beautiful. What a pretty smile! Bala, you are Tacugama! Thank you for take care Tacugama’s chimps forever. How are little Gaura?

4. Lucia Cristiana, Brasil on said:

5. Susana P.(Argentina) on said:

Very, very handsome…
    All the best for Young Bruno in Tacugama and thank you Bala for your devotion.
    Regards
    Susana P.(Argentina)

6. Susana P.(Argentina) on said:

Very, very handsome…
    All the best for Young Bruno in Tacugama and thank you Bala for your devotion.
    Regards
    Susana P.(Argentina)

7. He is very cute and arrive to the right place.

8. He is very cute and arrive to the right place.

9. Wanda - Atlanta on said:

Maybe a greater power decided you needed another Bruno –
    he is the cutest little guy — stay safe!

10. Wanda - Atlanta on said:

Maybe a greater power decided you needed another Bruno –
    he is the cutest little guy — stay safe!

11. Christine C. on said:

What a beautiful boy…I think he will be loved by all immediately! Whatta smile!

12. Christine C. on said:

What a beautiful boy…I think he will be loved by all immediately! Whatta smile!

13. Thanks Bala for sharing the news with us. What a great smile young Bruno has! Usually the new arrivals would look really sad, scared and wounded; but he did not. I think young Bruno must be trying to bring you some special message — like thanking you for all the good work you have done for 20 years and encouraging you to keep up for another 20 years!

14. Thanks Bala for sharing the news with us. What a great smile young Bruno has! Usually the new arrivals would look really sad, scared and wounded; but he did not. I think young Bruno must be trying to bring you some special message — like thanking you for all the good work you have done for 20 years and encouraging you to keep up for another 20 years!

15. Absolutely adorable!!!